Qualified designers talk of concepts, ideas, the story, and purpose when you ask them to design a new logo. Later they’ll ask your view on color, typo, and form. Even if you don’t have the skills to design a logo, as the graphic designer has, you need to make up your mind about these things.
So even you don’t have the designers’ skills, you are still designing a logo by making these choices for them. Of course, this is a good way of getting things done, like repairing your car be a mechanic, or letting your lawn been mowed by a gardener. But what if you could do things yourself easier and a lot cheaper because you don’t need a gardener, mechanic, or designer? You would spare time and money, and getting things done sooner than you could pronounce the Dutch words “Deze grappige grafische logo ontwerpen”. (in English: “These funny graphic logo designs”).
Example logos from 48hourlogo.com logo design contest website
No designer needed? Design your own logo!
There are two answers here. One answer is that you don’t need a logo designer because there are many online design tools that can deliver a good logo. You can design your own logo with these tools.
The second answer is maybe you need a designer for your logo because the complexity of your logo will be a unique one. This implies a ‘crazy’ logo design like the funny selected example above.
4 Tools for designing your own logo
- Mybrandnewlogo.com (Logo design by you, with some extra socials)
- Looka.com (You design your own logo, but more extra features like posters, flyers and business cards, etc.)
- Logotypemaker.com (You are designing your own logo, with a more flexible design tool, some extra elements email signature, and brand book.
- Namecheap.com (Focussed on online business, like website and hosting, but also a logo design maker tool)
Logo Design Contest websites with real designers.
- 48hourlogo.com (Multiple designers compete with each other for the best logo design of your choice).
- Logonerds.com (Little old school, but Character Mascot design too! lol)
Yes, you can design a great logo like a qualified designer!
So there are three options to get a logo of your taste:
- Design your own logo
- Let your logo been designed in a contest
- Get a single agency or graphic designer to design it for you.
All the above options have their pros and cons. From a cheap solution with total control to a more expensive solution with professional input from the graphic designer of the agency. All this depends on your purpose. Are you’re going to use the logo on a billboard at Times Square, a webshop with its own shipping boxes, or just a business card and a small website for local use? Above you can choose the best solution that fits your needs. If you are thinking of designing the logo yourself with an online tool, then you could read this blog about the logo design tools, which is updated in 2021.